Match review 03/11/19 – Hewitt Tames Tigers in Overtime Battle

Hewitt Tames Tigers in Overtime Battle

Player Coach Jason Hewitt’s overtime goal secured the two points for the Smailes Goldie Hull Pirates in their only game of the weekend, overcoming a resolute Telford Tigers team.

It was the Pirates who started the game better, Peter Fabus with two chances in the early stages, firing just wide and then ringing a shot off off Brad Day’s post. The first period continued at a quick but physical pace until Lee Bonner found a way past Day to give the home side the lead just after 12 minutes.

This lead would last less than two minutes as, during a spell of 4-on-4 hockey after penalties to Jordan Fisher and Ross Kennedy, Daniel Mitchell skated his way through the Pirates’ defence and slotted past Ashley Smith.

Less than a minute later and the Pirates would retake the lead. With Fisher’s penalty expired, the home team found themselves on the power play and took full advantage, Bonner gathering the puck near the blue line and launched a rocket past Day, making it 2-1 after 16 minutes.

Once again the visitors responded immediately; Andrew McKinney utilising a breakdown in concentration from the home side to equalise just 15 seconds after conceding, bringing the game to 2-2 which it remained until the end of the period.

The second period began much as the preceding one ended. The Tigers had the first chance of the middle period, ringing Smith’s post. It was, however, their turn to lapse in concentration when Aaron Smith found Bobby Chamberlain in space, who made no mistake in beating Day to claim a 3-2 lead.

With the play broken up by a series of penalties for both sides, the Tigers once again pulled level. Jack Watkins finding the back of the Pirates’ net after 30 minutes to equalise for the third time in the game. 

Five minutes later and the home side were back in front. Hewitt grabbing his first of the night on the power play with a strong wrist shot. Telford pushed for another equaliser, forcing Smith into some strong saves and striking the bar themselves. The period however ended with fireworks as Fisher and Corey Goodison dropped the gloves; Fisher gaining a two minute cross checking penalty to boot.

The third period started with Telford capitalising on their extra man; Scott McKenzie slotting past Smith to level the game once more at 4 each. The rest of the period passed with minimal incident, a tough physical game taking its effect on both sides.

With less than one minute remaining, the Pirates found themselves with the extra man; McKinney taking a seat in the box for kneeing. The Tigers however closed regulation time out to send the game to the additional five minutes of overtime.

With McKinney’s penalty carrying over, the home side made full use almost immediately as a slick passing play found Hewitt who pocketed the game winner and the two points.

Man Of The Match Awards:-

Telford Tigers – #30 Brad Day

Hull Pirates – #74 Lee Bonner

Author Greig Cardwell